View Single Post
Old 2013-06-17, 4:08pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
Thanks Lisi. We are considering switching to purchased oxygen. We have two dependable old oxy-cons and the two newer won't-work-in-moderate-humidity let alone GA humidity oxy-cons. The oxygen generator sounds attractive though.

It was the electronics that the humidity fried on our old kiln from sitting there expanding and contracting in the damp heat and cold. It still works, but the buttons don't work. So it is stuck on 1,100 degrees. We just use it for striking boro:ramp it up, soak, and crash it. It works great for that. We just can't change the temperature, or set the annealing cycles.
For humid environments, you can't beat the Airsep generators. They are terribly expensive but worth every single penny and more. When I used mine indoors in a/c, that was for a very short period of 5 months. For the rest of the time I have owned it, it has been running in a studio indoors with no a/c. About 4-5 days a week for the last 10 years. All I have ever had to do with it is wash the external foam filter.

BTW - recently I took a 16 day break from making beads..the longest break EVER in 11 years!

Oh, here is the latest model which is similar to what I have. Mine is an Airsep AS-12A, the higher pressure model which is like the Topaz+.

http://www.airsepcpd.com/airsepcpd/pdfs/Topaz.pdf

There are other generators out there like Unlimited Oxygen's Psyclone and the Hurricane, but I don't know if the mechanical workings of them are like the Airseps. They are much less expensive.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-06-17 at 4:12pm.