View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 10:48pm
Cheerfully Profane

Quote:
This is the part that very few of you seem to get: The tutorials that I have complained about are all done with the materials that the writers have determined is the best. That's the good part. The bad part is that I have purchased the tutorials with the expectation that, even though I lack the experience and talent, I can at least practice the technique using the materials that the author believes yields the best results. That's the information that I buy tutorials for --- what was really used to get some beautiful results. When I buy a tutorial and THEN find out that I will not be able to replicate the materials, it makes me feel that the POTENTIAL to make something as lovely has been withheld from me.

It is fine and good to say that other materials can be substituted, but, to the best of my memory, in the tutorials that I have purchased so far where this has been an issue, none of the authors have made a demo bead using the alternative materials. That feels like a falsehood to me. It feel like they are saying, "THIS is what makes the bead absolutely perfect, and I'm only going to make them in the way that I know is best. However, if you have to, you could make do with something else." Sometimes suggestions are made, but sometimes not. And this is what really gets me -- none of the tutorials that I'm referring to actually have pictures of the beads being made with the substitute glass. If it's such a great substitute, and you know that the glass you recommend is no longer made, difficult to get, not likely to be on hand, etc., why aren't the tutorials being created using those "perfectly adequate" substitutes? The reason is most likely because they just don't make as beautiful of a bead. Yes, I can make a bead using a substitute, but I can't make THAT bead, as I can't get those materials.
It's kind of amazing that you're expected to get a pass for throwing a mother of a fit because you can't be expected to be perfect all of the time but are expecting the authors to write the perfect tutorial for YOU with all of the guidelines YOU outline.

I kind of feel bad for coming back to this thread but you're coming off sounding pretty entitled and not exhibiting any of the behavior you expect.

Your basic premise is understood. All you really want is for the authors to give you a rough outline of what needs to be used before you purchase the tut. Period, end of story. Easy enough.

Quote:
It looks like the part of my post that is offending people the most is that I made reference to ethics. The reason I said that is: If a tutorial writer has years of experience, has been paid to teach classes, especially on that same subject, then they certainly know what materials are needed, and know how important it is for a student to know what they are getting in to. How would everyone feel if that same author offered an in-person class that appeared to be based on 104, then got to the class, told the students that it is actually being taught using boro, but that they could do an ok job with 104. Not as good as the "real thing", but it would be ok. And then do all of the demo using boro, not the substitute 104 glass.
The difference here is that you would show up to the class and either expect the teacher to have the supplies for you if they didn't tell you beforehand or you would be screwed. With a tutorial, you can purchase the supplies you need AT ANY TIME. You can put this tutorial on a shelf if you don't want to use 104 to make the shells and pull it back out again when you buy some Bullseye or Spectrum. As far as I can tell, the pictures that Becky posted are as good or better in 104 as they would be in the Bullseye.