View Single Post
Old 2008-01-06, 11:36am
DSDWC

If you want that fine laser point flame for detail work than the Barracuda is the way to go, the focus it much tighter on the inner fire. I have used both the Knight Bullet burner and the Barracuda extensively and find that the Barracuda is my favorite by far. The Knight is a good torch but I really don’t see it a superior in any way. As a matter of fact I find it less efficient on fuel and O2 and while they are both hot torches I find the Bullet to be hotter. The valves got so hot it was difficult to touch them after several hours of work. I also do not like the base of the Bullet Burner. It is made of cast iron and has a tendency to break right at the mount. My supplier has had several arrive in his wholesale store broken in this way. They are now shipped double boxed and he has not had a broken one since. This fixes the shipping damage problem doesn’t address the poor design issue. I know a fellow lampworker that dropped hers and the base snapped. Bullet replaced it but it was a huge hassle.
Both have nice flame characteristics. I think the Barracuda has a larger flame that is just a bit cooler and softer. It is very kind to soft glass. The bullet burner is a hotter and harsher flame. While I was able to work soft with it quite well it was more difficult with some of the fussier color such as the new silver base varieties.

I played with a Hellcat recently for a few hours and liked it but don’t have enough experience with it to offer a valid opinion. I would like the opportunity to play more as it looks like a decent torch.

I currently am using a split manifold Barracuda with a foot pedal and love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Trey Cornette; 2008-01-06 at 7:19pm.