Thread: The Cricket
View Single Post
Old 2008-10-22, 11:24am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
Can you post the difference in a betta and a cricket too Kimberly? (if you have it)
The theory behind the Betta is that by having larger valves and porting, you could have less restriction, allowing the torch to breathe easier. But, all that stops once you hit the first internal chamber of the torch. Then you face restriction and it becomes just like the Piranha/centerfire of the larger Beths.

All sorts of bead torches were already capable of running on low pressures - including the Piranha - and some that were already out there actually outperformed the Betta on low pressure. Wally (Willy's brother) took a glass class at the Banana Factory (a studio in Bethlehem, PA) and they had Bettas set up to run off the low pressure they had. Well, they ended up pulling them off because they just could not cut it.

The hype around the Betta was, IMO, just that - hype.

But, at any rate, the stand-alone Betta is so much more expensive than the other torches, it is usually cost prohibitive for beginners starting out. The Betta's claim to fame was low pressure, anyway, not low flow. The Cricket is designed to be a low-cost torch that can run on low pressure and low flow.

If anyone would like to send me a stand-alone Betta, I would be happy to test it on the concentrators I have here. Here are the flame measurements of the Betta on tanked oxygen from Bethlehem's Betta page:

Quote:
Low pressure:
1.2 psi gas / 3.0 psi oxygen. width: 1/2 " x 10" long

Max pressure:
5.0 psi gas / 20 psi oxygen
width: 5/8 " x 12" long
They don't put the candle lengths on those measurements, but I can still compare the general size of the flame to the Cricket on concentrators:

On a 5 LPM Invacare:

shoulder width: 0.750” (3/4")
flame length: 13”

straight off concentrator, not through Y connector:

shoulder width: 0.850-0.880” (right around 7/8")
flame length: 13”

On just a single 5 LPM Invacare, the Cricket gets a wider and longer flame than Bethlehem says the Betta gets on tanked oxygen! We also know that it gets a better pinpoint flame.

Jo (DogMaw) wrote the following review on her blog comparing the Betta to the Cricket:
http://dogmawglass.blogspot.com/2008...s-a.html#links

Quote:
This is the new GTT cricket torch. I got mine in the mail on Monday, and was lucky enough to try it out on Tuesday. I had been using a Bethleham Betta until my cricket arrived.

Soft Glass: I used one 5 lpm concentrator with the cricket. It gave me the same power as the betta with two concentrators. In addition the cricket can get a lovely pinpoint flame.

Hard Glass: This is where the cricket really shines. I used two 5 lpm concentrators with the betta and the cricket. I made the same boro pendant, first on the betta, then switched to the cricket. Time to make the pendant went from 18 minutes on the betta to 8 minutes on the cricket! It was also easier to flame strike colors like double amber purple with the cricket.

Cost: The cricket is a steal at the current price of $140. The betta will run about $320. Guess which one wins on cost.

So the cricket gets an A+ from me! Just in case you were wondering, I don't have any affiliation with GTT or with Bethleham.
So, maybe it is worth getting a Cricket even if you already have a Betta.