View Single Post
Old 2009-08-17, 1:19pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Cremains In A Bead - A Loving *FREE* Tutorial by DeAnne Buchanan

"CREMAINS IN A BEAD - A LOVING TUTORIAL"

by DeAnne Buchanan/The Glass Zone

(All material contained within this Tutorial is protected by Copyright, "The Glass Zone" DeAnne Buchanan, 2009; all rights reserved.)

I’ve wanted to present this for a while; I know many people are curious and interested about this process, and maybe I can help others to remember and hold close those they love and miss. It's a beautiful thing, and maybe I can help to remove the "taboo" with a caring and gentle approach, giving you the opportunity to make a cherished and loving memento of someone you love for yourself, your family and/or friends. I hope no one is offended by this!! If so, I apologize in advance.

Anyway, here's how I work...

BUT, first let me ask you: Have you actually LOOKED at cremains before?

I ask because the first time I did this, I was very hesitant to look at them as I didn't know what to expect!!! I was so surprised to find that they are quite like large grains of sand - not offensive or disturbing in any way - and was immediately relieved. I share this with you as I know this may be a bit of an emotional venture for you, so I just wanted to give you a reassurance that you might be surprised at yourself! I found myself feeling and thinking "loving, kindness and remembrance" thoughts while I worked with them. Surprisingly it was very peaceful and wonderful. I hope by pointing you in this direction, you have a similar experience.

OK - let's get started!

1. Open your cremains container and remove a small amount. Keep in mind that only a little bit is necessary for each 10mm to 18mm bead - definitely a "less is more" thing in this type of bead looks best. Depending on how many beads you plan on making, I would suggest you start with about 1/2 a teaspoon or so.

2. Place the cremains atop a graphite or brass flat surface; I use my 5" x 5" graphite pad so I'm sure to have room to work.

3. Using tweezers, trail through the cremains and make sure you don't have any larger grains or other material. Be aware you might find a bit of bone fragment that will be larger than the other grains. Gently remove any non-uniform particles and return them to your main container. Using a business card or something similar, line up the cremains on the working flat surface so you have a "strip" about 3”-4" long and about 1/2" wide.

4. Select your glass. I have used both opaque and transparent colors. If your desire to see the cremains within the bead, select a nice transparent color as your base and plan to do a final encasing of clear or same color or slightly lighter colored transparent. Alternatively, you can apply the grains to an opaque base and top with either an opaque to encrypt them within (which is OK just to know they are there!) or top with a colored transparent.

5. Create your base bead in your shape of choice. I usually start with 2-3 wraps of glass and make a nice formed round or barrel. I especially like making these on a 3/16" mandrel so they can fit the add-a-bead, Pandora style chains/bracelets.

6. Heat the base bead to a good orange glow (but not so hot as to be soupy or dripping), and as you would apply frit, roll your heated base bead atop the cremains to pick up and embed a small amount. A little bit of pressure as you roll will help to pick them up. If you have a blank spot, heat this one spot and roll again in the cremains to get a fairly even coating.

7. Keeping the bead warm at the back of the flame, heat your encasing rod (colored transparent or opaque) and apply a full encasing layer (I use the "winding" method over the "stripe on" method) to completely cover the cremains. Gently and slowly melt the encasing over the cremains to smooth.

8. Reheat and marver as needed to tidy the ends and reshape the bead or you can reheat and use a press at this point to finalize the bead. Decoration of flowers, dots and/or bubble dots are also nice accents. Note that if you super-heat the encased bead at this point, you may see some melting and spreading of the cremains (as the first bead on the left in my cover picture shows). I personally think it looks interesting, but if you don't want this to happen, be careful and gentle with your heat!

9. Flame anneal the bead and into the kiln it goes.

See! It's just that easy!

The "cover" photo is a set I made to hold the cremains of my beloved kitty. I used several opaque colors in purple, black and white. Some have gold leaf applied, or trails of silver wire on the surface, and some have the cremains completely encrypted (encased) in opaque - but I know they're there!

Hope you find this an interesting and informative Tutorial!

If you find that as much as you'd like to attempt this process yourself but feel uncomfortable or sensitive about the creamins to be worked with, I offer a service at a very reasonable price and will be happy to work with you to create a special memento or set for you and/or your friends and family.

If I can further help, just shoot me a PM and I'll do my best.

Much love,
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2012-05-22 at 8:33pm. Reason: Clarifications, typos and photos :) ~De