View Single Post
Old 2012-05-01, 4:07pm

This is an incredible tip. Thanks.

I actually just ordered four new bead releases to try because of problems with beads sticking to mandrels. I'm completely new so this was probably my fault but it was still very frustrating.

I was basically having to do the following with all my beads. Clamp down with vice grips on mandrel. Take a larger jaw vice grip, wrap with washcloth and place jaws over bead. Crush down gently and pull while holding mandrel in place. Worked but lost a bead every once in a while or marred surface. Was also a ton of work to adjust grips and hold tightly.

This riveter solved all my problems!

Some notes on bead release:
The stuff I had before was Sunfire's Blue Coat Mandrel Release. Not a fan. About 1/3 of the time it would not stick to the mandrel during coating and had to be wiped free and re-dipped. Always worked the second dip oddly enough. If you left it out longer than a day or two it would flake off. And it broke free several times which is probably just me being stupid.

So far I've only tried Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff but it works much better. Far less stirring, one coat coverage, stable for a week so far and nothing breaking or having a hard time releasing. I've also gotten better at heat bases and directing flame so it might be an unfair comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"