Thread: Make Up Air?
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-21, 10:50pm
TJ

Default Make-up air length and diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
As long a opening for makeup air is equal to or larger than your exhaust (duct) you are probably ok... Just remember any duct work that is part of make up air is part of your ventilation "system"... IN other words, length of fresh air duct plus length of exhaust duct equals total length of ventilation system...

If you want to keep studio warm in winter and cool in summer you can route a large percentage of your make up air from outside (through ducting) to space between torch and wall and this keeps you from robbing studio space of heated/cooled air...

Also be aware any ventilation ducting the uses corrugated or flexible duct reduces the efficiency of a system be causing "static" pressure (turbulence) in duct....

Dale

Dale, I'd like to check on two things with you, please, related to make-up air:

This is a basement room, separated well off of the furnace area. Cold winter climate, so make-up air will come in behind the torch. 936 cfm fan.

One, I am using solid 12" ducting for the exhaust vent, but bought flexible corrugated ducting for the return air vent. I figured the static pressure mattered most for the fume removal side... but now I am wondering if that does not make sense after all...

Two, my make-up air ducting is going out the same small high window that my exhaust vent goes, so I bought an extra 10 feet of ducting to send out further to make sure that I reach fresh air. However, about half of the make-up air ducting is 12" wide (same as the exhaust ducting) and half will be 6". (The exhaust side of the system will only be about 5 feet in length total.) I realize this will slow down/squeeze the air... but does that matter much? Especially considering the extra length?

Thank you!! Without your advice on LE, I would never be attempting a studio at all!

Tami
(almost have the whole thing together, yay!)
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.

Last edited by TJ; 2013-07-21 at 10:58pm.