View Single Post
Old 2015-08-27, 9:46am

Default Beadmaking hazards

I have to admit. After reading everything in this safety thread about ventilation, I started to become too scared to sit at the torch.
You would think we are working with some kind of biological hazards or considerable airborne heavy metal production from the glass or colorants.

It's funny how information you tried and tried to find just appears one day.
And so it is with the hazards produced by making beads.

I found a 1998 report from the society of Glass Beadmakers that was prepared by the Hazard Evaluations & Technical Assistance Branch of the National Institute for Occupational Health & Safety (NOISH).
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports...-0139-2769.pdf

They had this group evaluate a hazards specific to glass beadmaking. Exactly the information I wanted.
I love facts, science and data!

In Summary, they tested:
Air samples for metals, total particulates, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
Samples of bead release and glass
Hand wipes were collected before and after demonstrations to look for trace metals
Optical radiation
UV radiation
Infrared Radiation
Facial temperatures

In summary, they found:
No measurable amount of total particles in the air
Bead release is clay based
Area samples of beadmakers exposure to metals & VOCs were very low.
IR radiation can occur form torches, kilns and handling heated material
Exposure to high IR can occur when working close to an oven
UV radiation levels were below occupation exposure limits.

Delving deeper:
The VOCs they detected could have been caused by cleaning products used at the hotel.
They detected very low levels of some metals (from non mesaurable to 2 micrograms/cubic meter. ALL were well below occupational limits. Not hobby limits, occupational limits.

The major concerns:
Eye protection from UV
Eye protection from broken glass
Ergonomics (use those arm rests and a well adjusted seat)
Heat resistant gloves when working with kilns
ventilation for torch combustion products
Wash your hands occasionally (however, the wipe tests were the same before and after a demonstration)
Keep children away from the home studio (burns, glass, hazards)

So there. From the people who evaluate hazards for a living.
It turns out you don't really need massive CFM, high velocity, multiple room air changes, loud fans, etc, etc.

I am in no way advocating doing away with ventilation safety. Especially if you work in a closed room or basement.
What I am saying is that, according to NOISH (experts) glass beadmaking releases no health hazards into the air.
Torch combustion products, from an Alpha or Minor is very minimal and an open window should do nicely.

PROTECT YOUR EYES! Use didydium, Ace 202, use some kind of UV filter (most good prescription glasses have UV coatings)

For me, I am about to return to the quiet, peaceful, creative zen that I love about this art form.