View Single Post
Old 2015-03-04, 7:59am
Fried Cat

Quote:
It is a "Supply and Demand" situation. People want it bad enough, they will pay for it.

If people just ALL decided not to buy it anymore, prices would come down.

It's called "free enterprise." I hate paying the price too but if I want it, what choice do I have? Buy it or don't.

I love a good sale though. That's when I tend to stock up.

Sue
It is. And unfortunately, it's a nasty circle because once a price is set, it's really hard to break that cycle... Variety of reasons. One being, there are only a couple major distributors of CIM in the country. The second is federal, one can't cut prices too drastically because it impacts the other's business and then you get into some legal issues. Distributor A can't say screw it, I'm not playing the game. I'll sell it a buck over my cost because Distributor B (who had been selling it within a dollar of Distributor A in the past) is selling it at 300% markup. Distributor A has directly contributed to the failing of Distributor B.

The LGS can sell it for however they want, because they have wholesale accounts with Distributor A and Distributor B. The distributors have already received their pound of flesh.

I'm sure there are several other reasons but as I understand, and I may be wrong, but that is a very vague and very brief description of prices and why they can't be tweaked as much as we'd like to see.

The culprit is the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong. I *ADORE* CIM and I"ll pay the price. But I don't like it. I don't appreciate blatant mark up. And while the names are half the fun, it's time to start turning those popular ltds into available colors.