View Single Post
Old 2016-07-02, 12:55pm

MAPP (which is not available any more as far as I know and replaced with MAP Pro) is not a single gas but a mixture of gases. It burns really hotter, it is true. But when you see the figures they are more exciting than when you melt glass. "Technical" propane (which you have in 1 pound canisters) is absolutely clean comparing to tanked gas you buy at the gas stations. So the dirt you seen in the beads is not really dirt, this is the traces of the unburnt gas.

Hothead operates normally with the gas pressure 2.5bar - 4 bar (35-60 psi if my converter does not lie to me) - when tank is full and the temperature is normal - 2.5 is fine, when it is cold and there's not much gas left - I turned it to 3.5. Worked OK. If you switch to LPG line, not to a tank or with the tank use a regulator that reduces the tank pressure to 4-5 psi which is enough for cooking stove, but not enough for your torch, it will not operate normally.

I had a separate regulator on the gas tank for HH and had to replace it when I switched to Minor - the torches need different pressure and they have different gas consumption, so one regulatore can not serve both.

HotHead can definitely be used till you collect all the necessary things for a 2 gas setup with a tank of propane and proper regulator. Yes, you still need to be very accurate about your place in the flame and some glass (I found no place with opalino periwinkle ) will be still too sensitive but you can use HH with pleasure and have fun.