View Single Post
Old 2016-07-02, 12:57pm
Phill

It can be a little confusing and I may not be the one to clear it up for you.

But......

Different fuels have different burning characteristics and burn at different temps as well.

Some fuels are inherently dirtier than others but more often than not how dirty a fuel is has more to do with storage methods of the dispensing company than with the fuel itself.

Getting your tanks filled from the top of a recently refilled bulk tank that has also had a few days for the solids that might be in the bottom of the tank to settle back down is mostly a question of luck here in the west.

Small one pound canisters can sometimes have problems with freezing up when used for more that 45 minutes and that will cause the fuel flow to slow down a lot like the tank is empty.

Small tanks can also have solids of some kind in them and it's best to let them settle for a few days and then not shake them too much while setting them up for torching. The solids can spit and clog the tiny passages in the torch.

I have seen instructions for cleaning hothead torches but it has been a decade and I don't have any sources for those instructions now.

There are hoses with adapters that will allow you to connect hotheads to the "20 pound" tanks that are some 2 feet tall but there are fire laws that require those kinds of tanks be kept outside and insurance companies can deny a claim if you have one inside even if it has nothing to do with the claim.

Older versions of some of those tanks had bad safety valves that leaked so you have to make sure you get the newer versions.

Chemtane, propylene, MAPP Gas, LPG (liquid petroleum gas), propane and butane are all names of the kinds of gas that you can find in tanks usable with hot head torches. Some of the names are of the chemicals and many are trade names. Most gases available are combinations of chemicals in various formulations that may or may not be specified by local government agencies and /or marketing.

Propane may not be allowed in one county but Chemtane is. Some markets just don't sell MAPP gas at all. Its all over the map.