View Single Post
Old 2008-03-05, 9:26am

I've changed my kiln baby-sitting habits since I had a "run-away kiln" situation described above.

I used to set it and forget it, basically. My kiln is in a detached garage, it's fire brick, on a steel stand, etc. I tend not to put stuff on top of it or too close to around it, but things can encroach over time without you realizing it.

But I had the exact situation described above. The relay failed and stuck shut, meaning constant power to the kiln, which is set on "high."

The next day when I went out to begin work, I could smell heat when I opened the door. The kiln was at 1858. Was it on it's way up? Or down? No way to know at which point in the process the failure occurred. All beads melted well into the floor of the kiln, and the mandrels well on their way to annealing nicely.

So now, I set it, and I go back out before bed to check it. If it's low enough, I shut it off completely.

Take a lesson! I've been making beads a long time. This could've started a fire in a variety of ways. I lucked out.

FWIW, I was told you should replace the relay about every three years, depending on usage of course. I now have a spare for that purpose.

Best,
Patti