View Single Post
Old 2013-09-14, 10:49pm
TJ

Thanks, guys.

Greenstone: oxycon systems can only be obtained by medical prescription in Canada - other than a handful of reconditioned ones by lampworking retail studios and those shipped from the U.S., so I do not think anything refillable would be available here.

Raimond: the only other things on the gas line are the Hot water tank and furnace, so can't really change those.

Caliente: I was wondering about the elevation because I read in a post somewhere that oxycons work best at sea level. I cannot say how or whether that relates to my issues or not, since I have a very elemental understanding of this torch process to begin with though!

David: I do turn on gas first, then add in the oxygen. But I am trying to get the torch roaring, long and strong flame.. trying to replicate the Lucio torch that I used in his studio in Murano... but it feels less powerful somehow. Fluffier. weaker. Perhaps he has higher gas pressure there, or a level of oxygen feeding I could never match (or both). Maybe it was foolish of me to even think I could have a torch setup the same, given the big difference in country and finance!

But I will try moderating the flame overall. I have a feeling that will help.

I checked out a video on YouTube that tested a torch with the same M-15 Concentrator and 8 LPM. It was a different torch, but the narrator mentioned the fluctuating flame during the video. So now I am thinking that perhaps the small amount of "breathing" I see is not a big deal, is a little normal. It is possible that I just never noticed it when I was in Murano. I never saw that behavior on the rented MegaMinor torch, but that flame is so small I might not have noticed.

I do feel I have to take down all my baffles on the hood though. The flame is just blowing around too much, period, and that is the only adjustment I can make to affect that, I believe.
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.