View Single Post
Old 2005-09-23, 10:04pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'll bite, because I truly think it's a matter of personal preference, economy and what you want/need to accomplish.

I learned on a HH. One of those nifty kits from Lark Books with Cindy Jenkins (gods bless her!) small booklet. Of course, that only lasted me about 5 sessions because it WAS loud, scared me silly, and I had no clue what I was really doing.

Several months later I took a class with Kate Fowle, on a Minor. Love at first sight! I tried to repeat what I'd learned on my HH and it frustrated me...a LOT. Made beads happily on my Minor for 2 years. But I discovered a really good use for the HH about a year into that love affair....working with dichro. I would fry/destroy/obliterate the poor innocent dichro on the Minor, but for some reason I could make it sing on the HH. I worked with a "dual" station for about a year before I finally spent a looong weekend trying to figure out how to make it work on the Minor. Victory!

Not long after I realized I was making larger and more eccentric-shaped beads. I read, chatted, reasearched (this was before WC, and even the SGB...before they added the "I"...wasn't much of an entity yet) on various torches. Finally, I made arrangements with the Very Good Guys at Wale Apparatus to test drive several torches. I tried a Major, a Midrange Plus, a GTT Lynx and a GTT Phantom. At the time I didn't need a HOTTER torch nearly as much as I needed a BIGGER flame. The Midrange was perfect. And still is....I've grown into it rather nicely and love it a bunch.

And the moral of the story is.....I FINALLY got my NG line connected today so I'm MAKING BEADS tomorrow!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.