View Single Post
Old 2006-05-02, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Kind of, but not really... you are getting my point a bit.

The volume is changed by putting your finger over it and restricting the flow... the pressure in the hose determines how fast the water goes through that restriction. The higher the pressure, the faster the water moves through the same sized space. This increase in pressure is directly connected to the increse in velocity. Thus making the water shoot further. Now, if you fill a bucket with that hose, you can see the vortex and eddie effects I'm talking about. The bucket represents the manifold inside the torch. You can fill a bucket gently with less pressure and a bigger openeing just as fast as you can fill it with higher pressure and a smaller opening. The volume doesn't change, but the way the water reacts when it enters the bucket space is totally different. One is excited and the other is relaxed. It's night and day inside a torch manifold as well.

Now you've got me explaining this with a hose, a bucket and water... damn, I can't beleive you got me to play with the hose idea! Thanks Robert.
You know you love it.

So how would these different psi settings affect the flame?

Would you only get a harder driving flame or would the flame be hotter?