View Single Post
Old 2006-05-02, 8:21pm
PyronamixK

They have made both hand torch versions and bench burner versions. I do not have any pictures.

The body of the torch is 1/4" outside diameter. The flame range goes from the size of a bee stinger (the little sharp tip on the end) to the size of a pencil (1/4"). There is no other torch that can get as small as that one does. You have got to see it to believe it.

You can sneak in between flower stamens on paperweight setups. You can reattach legs on ants. It is like a little laser. You can hit a stamen to the left or right of the stamen that you are working on and it won't make it collapse and drop over instantly. You will just see a little orange glow. But, if you leave it there long enough, then it will fall over. Al Janelle used his to go into the eye sockets of his animal head beads and work the detail.

The neat thing about it is that it is so stable, it won't shut off if a breeze hits it. And it doesn't blow itself out, either, like a premix does (e.g., the Smith Little Torch).

It will work finicky glass (Gaffer, Kugler, leaded glass, etc.) without reduction. It will melt a 1/4" rod of boro. It's good for working set-ups and super-fine detail. There are people out there who have them, but I am not at liberty to reveal their identities or the type of work that they are doing with them.

I won't discuss the pressures it can run on. I'll just say that it works and leave it at that.

Oh, O.K., I can't hold out. That torch can run on very low pressures, of course. But, I know someone who runs his on 40 psi oxygen and 15 psi propane (because it is in-line with his other torches). And, he can get any flame he wants out of it... by using the needle valves.

Well, I'm off to go take some pictures of a bench burner on a bet.