View Single Post
Old 2009-07-15, 11:45pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

QUOTE from Oxydoc: "I agree with Trey, Why deal with the dangerous 2000+ psi from a system that is questionable at best, when all you need is 100 to 140 psi to run anything in the torch world. With a concentrator that was designed to run 24/7 right from the get go. The Home fill system was designed to fill small tanks like E cylinders and Ds. Noone knows if these things are safe for K tanks. Then you have that ugly fact that if something does go wrong, Who will rebuild it? You can buy the Homefill units all day from HomeHealth Care Companies for 700.00 to 1200.00. Take out the quick connect, go the Lowes for some brass and poof you have a 4000.00 machine. Rix may be more expensive but, they have 60 years of experience not just a few months. A lot of thought and testing went into the unit that Trey is using. And it will run forever. No need to lay awake at night wondering which part of your house will disappear off the map if something goes wrong. Good luck with it Trey"

Like I said earlier, I think Trey's system is great.

But your posts raises a lot of questions in my mind...

Everyone that runs a K tank deals with 2000 psi, so if done correctly, 2000 psi is safe. Personally, I don't care if Rix has 60 years of experience, Ro's microboost went out after less than 150 fills. At at $5k a pop for the microboost, her experience with the Rix for filling K tanks weighs more than their number of year in business. For that price, I can get over 10 Homefills, each with a rated lifecycle of 5000 hours, making it not a big deal if one breaks because I can pitch it and use another, and still be far ahead in terms of cost savings, and number of fills. You may want to check out smutboys post on gldg, he is of the opinion that the design of the Homefill is more efficient than that of the Rix.

In anycase, I am keeping records of the number of fills I get and will periodically post this in the gldg thread that documents the 2 compressor $2200 system. Maybe it will turn out to be a long lasting system, and maybe it won't...but I will be basing it on real data, not opinion, and definitely not out of fear that my part of my house will dissapear off the map (where the heck did this come from??).

After undertanding how Trey's system is working and having an idea of how much these types of compressors cost and the plumbng costs involved, I think it is a great idea, has a lot of utility, and should be very very cost effective. Hopefully it gets released soon.

So I've seen numerous posts indicating that its in the works and I see all these questions asking when it will be released.

I, like others, would like to know what's the ETA? What is the range of costs? And what company will be selling it?? Inquiring minds want to know...

BTW, when you say take a $700-1200 Homefill, add a quick connect and brass, and you have a $4000 machine, do you mean that the $4000 tank fill systems (24-36 hour fill times for a K tank) being sold by some resellers and oxygen companies, are really just worth 700-1200 dollars plus the cost of the connections? Personally, I've already come to a similar conclusion. But its nice for it to publically come from someone that knows the oxygen business.

Also, when is the Wonka system that will fill a K tank (presumably to 2000+ psi) in less than 8 hours and that will be more affordable than any other system going to come out? And how much will that cost?

And when you say "Why deal with the dangerous 2000+ psi from a system that is questionable at best, when all you need is 100 to 140 psi to run anything in the torch world", are you saying that when the major glass manufacturer starts selling the 100 PSI sytem like Trey's, that there will then be no valid reason to purchase the Wonka System because its better to deal with 100 PSI rather than 2000 PSI?

Anyway, it's late...

Last edited by metalbone; 2009-07-16 at 12:30am.