View Single Post
Old 2012-07-09, 12:26pm
The Andrea Half

All of this is good advice! I would ALSO check your annealing cycle program. If that many of your beads are chipping, you may not be holding or soaking long enough. Or you may have such a deep dimple that no matter the speed of the rotary tool (mine is an old Craftsman that I have had since I was 14, and I am 48 now) you will get chips, just because of the angle of glass to steel.

If your dimples are deep, and you use 3/32" mandrels or larger, consider using a rod saw blade instead of a rotary tool. For me, half of a rod saw blade does a better job, is more controllable, and never chips my beads.

This is a rod saw blade -- just cut it in half at the middle with a bolt cutter or rotary tool cutoff blade, and you have two perfect bead reamers. http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-15-410.../dp/B000FK5DH0 The only caveat is that if you are doing *very* delicate transparents you might want to use another method, because rod saw blades can scratch the glass when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.