View Single Post
Old 2021-01-01, 12:57pm

Default Ripple technique question

I have a question about how to do a technique that I think is pretty common as I've seen it around a lot. I don't have the funds to be buying any more tutorials at the moment, so I thought I would try in this techniques and questions thread. I pay by the hour at the studio, and have limited glass (until I can go pick up some packages across the border), so I need to have a plan when I get to the studio instead of randomly experimenting.
I am trying to get a ripple effect where the glass has small random wavy shapes with clear or transparent layers in between. And then maybe encased in clear and pressed onto shapes, but this is optional I am mor interested in getting the layered ripple effect. Kind of like abalone shell layers, or layered agate or geodes, transparent in between to show the depth between layers and irregular ripple edge
(Not gravity beads technique or the disk with dots on the sides technique).

I have a few different ideas on how this could be accomplished, but I could use some guidance so I am not wasting my studio time money... not sure on the order of what should happen. Which processes could be troublesome or cause problems with trapping air etc.

1-Bead of main colour heated then rolled over a ribbed marver, clear stringers to fill the valleys, heat then use rake to pull ripple or wave shapes, encase in clear then press

2- same thing as 1, except use gravity to shape ripples/waves

3-bead of main colour, then use stringers to build up ripple shapes, alternating clear and main colour, do 2 or 3 layers deep. Melt together (concerned about bubbles this method), then encase in clear and press.

4- same thing as 3, except just do straight lines and then after melting use rake or gravity to form ripples/waves

Or am I way off and there is another way to do this? Other tips or ways I could come at this?
Thanks!