Thread: My new website
View Single Post
Old 2018-03-14, 12:44am
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
I'm curious ~ the last example on the front page refers to "agate glass" ~ what is that? Is that a color you are formulating for sale? it's gorgeous!
Thanks. "Agate glass" is really just another name for the StrikingColor silver glass I make. I figure that very few potential penholder customers will be glassblowers/beadmakers, so if I call it "silver glass" most will wonder why the color of the glass itself isn't silver. Another more common name for the glass would be chalcedony, or calcedonia. However I figured that "agate glass" would probably be understood by the most people.

As far as the silver glass penholders go, I usually make them either from the bottom of a pot after pulling cane, or make them with a silver melt that didn't work well for cane. The glass at the bottom of a pot tends to have an unpredictable COE so I don't use it for cane. (Except sometimes for my own beads which I make out of solid StrikingColor anyway so I don't need to worry about the compatibility.)

And oddly enough, glass that isn't good enough for cane sometimes works very well for the penholders. The glass I used for the penholders at the bottom of that page worked pretty poorly for cane, mainly giving shades of dark brown in beads. But I absolutely loved the way it looked when used for penholders.

Just one of the many oddities of making silver glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.