View Single Post
Old 2014-08-23, 3:17am
Feminist Killjoy

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I've read tons and tons on the subject over the years, but nothing ever stuck in my brain. Only very recently has any of it sunk in. After a few final questions to Dale, I'm certain I'm finally on the right track. The main things I've gleaned as utterly important are:

Absolutely NO flexible ducting, and that no matter the size of your enclosure, it's the OPENING alone that determines how many cfms you need. I was confused about that for a long time. You need at least 100 cfm for every square foot of OPENING. So my opening will be 2.5 ft wide x 2ft tall, for a total of 5 square feet. Therefore 500 cfm minimum. Dale suggested 626 cfm would be even better. So I went with 670 cfm, 8 inch inline fan.

I've finally begun constructing this baby. I'm using a nice, deep armoire as my fume hood. That way, I can use the side drawers and cubbies for storage, and close it up all nice and neat when I'm done for the day. I'll be adding a face shield and I'll be caulking around all of the seams inside, and lining with some aluminum sheet. The top writing surface of the armoire will be where I mount the torch. I'm going to mount a reducer (funnel) into the center back of the armoire and run either smooth ducting or just the fan itself through a board that will mount into my window and be removable. A very short line, as the armoire will sit up against the window. I think I'll be putting wheels on it, so I can roll it out to remove the window board. The only thing I'm really still stuck on is the method of sealing around the board, so that fumes cannot re-enter, but at the same time, will be able to be pulled away with ease. I'm thinking weather stripping, but there are many different kinds. Hopefully I'll get that worked out soon.

The fan I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-8-670-CF...item3f18239edd