View Single Post
Old 2009-01-11, 8:55pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....this is a tough question. and here is my advice... err on the side of caution. Yup, I am an old timer, and tend to do things the old school way, but that isnt always the best or safest way,,, so I have found out often years down the road.

I must admit that I still do a blow off for almost every vessel I open. Its only been since I have returned to the torch after 7 years away, that all the hissy fits are being thrown about doing that. I have done some reading that says its not a huge worry for your lungs, cant recall where though. and I have also come across stuff that says its really bad stuff. Put simply.. I dont know for sure either way.

Its not something I particularly worry about, but I also worked in an environment for so many years that this was standard practice. I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but my best advice is, better safe than sorry and make your own decisions. I also know very little about all the new colors out and the metal content etc etc etc.

But.... you should rarely have a "blow out" doing anything in my tutorial. The bioggest chance of it is in blowing the mini ornaments. If you are getting blow outs its because the glass is WAY to hot. and when you blow one spot is blowing out very quickly and popping. Try counting to 3 as you rotate after leaving the flame. This will allow the heat to ven out, and the glass to form a skin on the outside before you blow, thus avoiding a "blow out"

hope this helps some.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."