View Single Post
Old 2013-08-20, 6:28pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEverything View Post
My phantom came with an instruction sheet that only had instructions for torches with 30+ jets. It said to run my torch on 35 psi oxy and 12 psi propane. I just recently started to question my setup and started doing research. I changed my torch to 25 psi oxy and 8 psi propane and now it seems to run much better. I probably wasted a ton of oxy since I bought it. Hopefully in the future GTT will post correct information online or at least not send misleading information with their torches.
Here is the instruction sheet for the Phantom, Mirage, and Delta Elite posted on GTT's website:
http://www.glasstorchtech.com/Instru...%20Phantom.pdf

Yeah, I see where it says 30-60 jets. That is a little confusing, and I'll mention it to them, but it isn't misleading. The pressures they have listed are what they recommend for the Phantom. It can run on lower pressure or on higher pressure.

I was running mine at a lower pressure back then (2006, when this thread was first posted) just because that's where I liked it. I run my propane at around 10 psi or higher, now. Some people run Phantoms with much higher pressures.

Basically, when you run low pressures, you have to open the torch valves more to let a given volume of gas in to the torch. When the pressures are set higher, you don't have to move the valves as much to let that same volume of gas in, the valves are more responsive.

You aren't going to automatically use more or less gas based on your pressure settings, alone. How much gas you use is determined by how much you let through the torch with your valves - what kind of flame you're running. If you were to open your torch valves all the way, then running a higher pressure would put more gas through your torch than running a lower pressure.