View Single Post
Old 2012-09-25, 12:12pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Thanks for all the kind words. I feel so lucky to get to work with people like you every day. No industry is more friendly and fun to be in. I get to play daily with people that almost always have a sense of humor. That is a real rare thing in a sales position.

Always buy a kiln for what you want to be doing in 2 years, not for what you are doing right now. It is a large purchase, and the longer you can make it work for you the better.

We also get lots of folks that do larger work with larger kilns who find they need a small kiln to save on expenses when doing smaller projects, or to keep cooler in their work space during the hot summer months. The bigger the kiln, the more it costs to run.

In some cases, the fiances may not be in place to go for the long term view. The Short Guy and Regular Guy kilns hold their resale value very well. I see them go for 80% of the retail price on a regular basis. Since it is already built and there is no wait, they move very fast.

The punti doors are really not needed if all your work is on a mandrel. The only time I use mine is for heating large diameter soft glass for a marble or when I am doing sculptural boro where I build the base and garage while making other components. The pipers need the doors for their prep work. It may also come in handy if you are normalizing a large murrine pull. Otherwise it is a waste of $ you could buy more glass with. You can always send in the door and have one added if you find you need one in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau