View Single Post
Old 2012-01-29, 5:45pm
Can't you see I'm busy???

Your story sounds so familiar! It seems that our creative activities are always getting pushed aside, their time taken up by an enormous number of "have to's". When we do get back to the studio for a little time, there's this sense of loss for whatever project was interrupted. We seem to be always starting over, only to have the new attempt interrupted again. And so it goes...

A little help came to me from a friend who is a professional potter, depending on his creativity for a living. His advice? Set aside whatever small amount of time you have each day. Go to your "studio", wherever that is. Do something - but don't demand anything of yourself. If you don't feel creative, fine. Clean the studio, organize your materials, etc. just spend some time recognizing your creative self, and sheltering it in the studio. Over time, the habit of just being there will give you some peace, some ability to concentrate, and the more fulfilling activities will begin very naturally.

Ask me how I know this works.... And my friend is still an artistic and financial success after more than thirty years.

Hope this helps in some way, I really recognize your pain!