View Single Post
Old 2012-02-01, 5:19pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Hi Becky... I have long admired your work and the spirit behind it, and I can totally relate. I found myself in a total funk following my christmas season production (making things to sell not things i really wanted to). I am just starting to break it and here's a few tips that may or may not resonate with you
1. I give myself a limited palate. in my case I make just lentils for a torch session. I put maybe 12 to 16 rods on the bench and just limitr myself to these few colors and this one size. that I think forces me to do more with technique and ideas and not rely on the distraction of too much glass, frit, murini or other thing. I mean i love all that stuff but for rut busting i try to keep it simple.
2. I like listening to emotive music or reading poems to get an idea in my head. I will generally listen to a well constructed album and then what ever beads i make during that session all seem to have a common feel to them. I just finished a "point of impact" series where all the beads had a point where i poked it hot and trapped a bubble. seems simple, but making variations on that one theme kept me fresh.
3. big fan of sunshine and nature walks
4. you could try falling in love, that always helps. real or imagined lovers work equally well LOL
5. i like cleaning up the studio when im in a rut. sometimes finding a lost glass in enough to fire me up.
I hope something helps Becky because your work is so beautiful it would be a shame for you to stumble or stop. I agree that taking the pressure off of yourself is a good idea. If you need a push join the SE9 or any of the fun exchanges.
Keep us posted
Cara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon