View Single Post
Old 2013-08-05, 10:12pm

Default Does it sound like I have a good startup plan?

Hey guys,
So I took a short 'apprenticeship' a long time ago when i worked at a headshop, and am wanting to get back on a torch. I only stopped because of medical issues prob from getting hit a few times by vehicles. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to get back into it and wanted opinions on my tool selection and general plan.
Theres a market in the area I live (a semi remote valley with one road and about 3000ppl plus tourists, closest large town is 6+ hrs away) for smoke ware and some general art and jewelry. So I plan on getting up and running to make some simple spoons, one hitters, etc to make some cash to upgrade, get more glass, etc.
I don't have much cash so I was thinking of waiting on the kiln and batch annealing at a friends house (her fusing kiln), then getting it as soon as I can afford.
It's been quite a while, and I learned on a minor and redmax with top minor, so not sure if the national 8m with sm7 is good enough, though what I've read and seen suggests it should work until I can upgrade to a lynx...

So what do I need to do? crock of vermiculite? proper kiln? what's the minimum I could get away with assuming I can batch anneal later? It was never something I had to deal with before...

Equipment
National 8M with SM7 tip (or GTT Bobcat?)
hoses, regs, arrestors, tanks
Fit over ACE 202 (i have prescription glasses), clip on shade 3
graphite paddle with marble mold on one side, smooth the other
graphite reamer (double side with bowl push one side would be nice)
sheers, tweezers, glass nippers, carbide knife, marver pad, some rakes, etc
apron, ventilation

glass will be a mix bag of colour (first/odds/seconds/shorts?), a little 20-40 mm med wall tubing, some 8-10mm tube and rod, a little mix frit and that's all I've thought of so far...

So, any thoughts? Thanks

//edit: I should have added, that I'm pretty broke, I only have $300 atm and only have a pt job... so obv can't go balls to the wall straight off.

Last edited by bentbymind; 2013-08-05 at 10:29pm.