View Single Post
Old 2012-08-31, 10:07am
Just getting started!

Default Success with Recycled Glass for Fusing?

I've been sifting through the Tips threads and reading up on using recycled glass. From what I've been reading glass from windows and glasses is a different COE of glass than jars and bottles. I have all sorts of questions floating around in my brain.

Do any of you use recycled glass and have you had a lot of success with it? I'm looking to experiment by crushing glass and putting it into small molds like pendants, knobs, paperweights etc... I'm wondering if I can mix the coloured bottles with clear, or if I should pretty much stick to a one colour item just to avoid compatibility issues.

I've read about the COE testing by layering a known and unknown and pulling a stringer. Is this the best way? Is it just a lot of trial and error?

If I make something with recycled glass, slump it, clean it etc... is there a chance that it would break because of compatibility issues down the road, or is that the kind of thing that happens as soon as it cools? My concern is that if I make something and sell or gift it, could it crack and break 6 months later? I understand the thermal cracking with beads, but I'm not sure how it works with fused glass. If you use a polariscope and there are stress cracks, is there a way to fix it or is it done for?

Thank you so much for your help! I'll probably have way more questions as I go along

Imadesigns....Creativity Unleashed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.