View Single Post
Old 2013-08-18, 11:29am
DaveK

Question Bullseye Marble Question

I have searched the forums and I guess I don't have a lot of patience after reading 10 threads on Bullseye related stuff that didn't answer my question.

I did TRY to find an answer before posting this.

I just started flame working after fusing for the last 12 years and I have a ton of Bullseye sheet, frit, dichroic, etc. glass. I have been buying Boro for making marbles and have made some up to 40mm.

I would like to use up some of my BE glass since I have so much and such a wide variety. I don't have a vitrigraph kiln. I have heard tell of molds that you can put flat glass or frit into and then use the result for flame working. I would like to do 2" marbles but need rod about 10-14mm to do marbles that size. I haven't seen any BE rod bigger than 5mm.

I have tied to make gathers from 3/8" strips of flat BE but they turn out looking scummy. I haven't tried fusing 3 or four in the kiln figuring the scum is coming from over heating the edges anyway.

Is there any tricks to making a gather in the kiln for a 2" piece? Is it even possible with Bullseye?

What is the best method to prepare a gather in the kiln with a mold? What is the best method to get out all the bubbles and what temperature is best to attach the rod at.

What do you use for a mold, graphite? I don't see these types of molds for sale. Is it a two step process to fuse the gather and then reheat after cleaning all the kiln wash off or can you fuse directly into a graphite, or some other type of, mold?

I know you can attach a Boro punty to a 104coe gather, I assume BE would be the same, but I am not sure of the technique of removing all the incompatible glass when you change punties.

Any advice, techniques or referrals to Youtube, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨