View Single Post
Old 2020-08-20, 12:10pm
MacGalver

Macintosh, do you have any idea what powdered mix was? Obviously, some kind of additive that helps to broaden the COE, Or make the two (or more) types of glass more flexible with eachother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
I know this is an old thread and last brought to life 11 days ago. Sorry.

I worked at a hot house that took in blue and green bottles to be recycled. The bottles would get run though a hammer mill with a coarse screen along with all our scrap. We kept 2 crucibles full of recycled glass at all times. We kept an area set up at all time to blow glasses and were expected to blow glasses with our "down time".

I know we tossed in 1/4 cup of some "powder mix" with each 5 gallons of recycled crush. We would have to mix the recycled crucibles every morning or we would get cracks. If we ended up with a terrible batch we would make "glass rock" out of it.

I don't know how much they made off the glasses after the prep work, but it kept us working so people had something to watch. I think the recycled part help the sales a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.