View Single Post
Old 2020-09-30, 5:46pm

Default Raku frit and dark turquoise headache

I got so much good help regarding my intense black webbing troubles, I just had to toss out another struggle I'm having and see what great info comes my way.
I feel I have a sound understanding of what reduction is. I had a small pottery business way way back when, and did alot of reduction firing including raku firing. I feel confident I can identify the different torch flames neutral, oxidizing, reducing.
But I just can't get any success with raku frit or dark turquoise.
For the raku, all I get is a dull tan. I work it in a neutral flame. Then I change to a reducing flame and (no pause to cool) flash it in and out toward the back of the flame a few times. Nothing. I've tried letting it cool (like with striking), then reducing flame. I've tried rapid cooling (blowing on it, marvering it) then reducing flame. I've tried moving in closer in the reducing flame. About the most reaction I get it sometimes it turns mirror shiny blackish. I guess I just don't know what else to try.
As for the dark turquoise, I can't seem to get it to not turn yucky gray. I work it in a neutral flame, farther out so as not to get too hot, take my time, still turns dull gray. I haven't seemed to have the same problem with light turquoise.
I can't help but feeling this is all something to do with controlling the reduction but I'm just stymied. Are all colorchanging glasses this difficult? I'm hesitant to drop the money for some of the beautiful Double Helix for example.
Sorry for the length of my post. It was sort of cathartic though!