View Single Post
Old 2021-11-27, 2:09pm

Unhappy Help with DH Oracle Violet Opal

Hi Bead Brain Trust! Hope everyone had a happy Turkey day! I’ve been trying to get the Violet-Opal to strike like their sample bead. The color is beautiful, I’d like to achieve that.
Their Sample:

My closest attempt is smallest bead, it’s getting there(actually looking at both pics here for first time side by side - I don’t have anything freaking close!)… one problem with other attempts is the kiln changes the color! I’m using a Paragon I’ve used for years;set to 960 turned first few solid pink!

I Reduced it to 920, tried these, annealed at 920 set using the dial Low-High set so temp sensor shows just around or just below 920. This is closest - smallest one…had shortest time in kiln b 4 shut down…like 15 minutes, followed by next size larger that’s just starting to muddy up, can’t see the mandrel…the clearest one shows mandrel. (Not counting triangle beads)
Mine:

Ideas?

I’ve found it likes cooler temperature flame but never strikes like their sample.

I’ve been making the bead like normal, then cooling it & holding under my work bench till it’s no longer showing any heat color 30-50 seconds Im estimating…then hold it in the very tip or front edges of the flame. No changes to flame, just holding bead at very edge, rotating it until it just begins to color from heat…out till cooler, then back…repeating doesn’t seem to matter…mine is no where close to their sample…what am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!