View Single Post
Old 2014-10-03, 8:36am
I speak Murrini!

Hi again!

I think similarly, your "frosted glass" problem may be partially related to your distance from the torch, as I described above, but there are other things that can cause this as well...

I have had this happen to me in the past from:

a) Getting the clear glass too close to the torch face, thus burning it;
b) Tiny dust particles on the clear glass rod that "pollute" it and toast in the flame upon application;
c) Haze from the MapPro gas if fuel is running low; and
d) Tiny bubbles or "scum" on the glass rod itself, often found on the clean end of a fresh rod or freshly cut rod.

Resolutions to these problems include:

1) Monitoring the distance from the torch face to insure you're not too close;
2) Cleaning your rods with a little Windex and a clean dry towel prior to torching;
3) Insuring you have sufficient fuel in your MapPro canister prior to starting your torch session, and
4) Heating and pulling the "tip" off the glass rod prior to starting your torch session to insure that all rod ends aren't predisposed to scumming.

When I say "pulling the tip" off the glass rod, I mean you should heat the tip of the rod to glowing, and using your tweezers or similar tongs, pull just the heated tip off the end of the rod, so it ends up looking like this:

I do this with all my glass rods that I will be using during any particular torch session, if at all possible, since tiny scratches or roughness in the glass (such as you'd see in a freshly cut rod end) can sometimes cause bubbles and/or scumming.

Let us know how you're coming along, and happy torching!

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro