View Single Post
Old 2012-01-09, 12:31am
suechrist

Default Pandora

It's funny how nobody went after them when they copied all the original beads designs our earlier bead makers came up with. All they did was use a larger mandrel and put a silver core inside. Some are very pretty, but many are not very precisely designed. You can really tell the difference between a real lampworker designed and executed bead and many of theirs.

Whenever I see a Pandora store or Pandora bracelet with glass lampwork beads
I have a physical reaction. I feel sick because I can't compete and now they've added all those gorgeous Swarovski beads specifically made for the collection. I remembering having to justify $3 per bead. But now, they get $23 or more per bead. I try to convince myself that it is just because of the sterling silver lining.

And speaking of trademark infringement. . . I heard from a lady who owns the best bead store here that Troll Beads started first by two brothers somewhere in Europe a long tome ago ( late 60's I think she said.) Apparently, the brothers had a falling out and one of them started Pandora in the states. Troll followed him across the ocean with a product that is about the same. I don't remember any copy write infringement suits being filed then. There are also: Charmilla and one other. Plus the department store Bealls, in the southern states sells their own version.

I guess what really bothers me is that they had the idea and now they mix silver, crystal and many other pretty beads in with fewer glass beads. Our community beads and jewelry never had that kind of mainstream mass appeal. I don't know why. I just know they won't be around that much longer. Some day, people are going to look at our beads at a show and say something like, "OOh, these are pretty, they remind me of those Pandora beads from years ago."

The receptionist in my Doctor's office was wearing a Pandora bracelet once and I commented on it. She said she was wearing her blue beads that day, but she needed more to make them go further around the chain. When she said, "They just cost so much money $27 a bead at that time." I said, Oh, you poor thing. (I meant I would sell her one for $3-6.) I just didn't want to ruin her day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

etsy