View Single Post
Old 2008-08-13, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Hey Scott,

Can you give me some information on how you think the cricket might compare to a minor on one oxycon?

I am considering getting one of the cricket torches. I have heard nothing but great reviews about all the GTT products and was also told that GTT torches burn much cleaner then the minor.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Hi Deb, missed you at this years gathering. How are you.

I know you'll like it better then the minor. Thats what its designed to do, work on smaller oxy units. And what I saw and felt. Its living up to its design concept.

Another LE member PM'd with a question regarding the cricket and GTT torches in general. Here is part of my reply. This is just my opinion and what I gleamed trying out all the torches at the open torch nights at the gathering.

"Heres the thing about GTT torches vs the rest. I hear people say that the other torches have more radiant heat. But what I found at the gathering. Is that the radiant heat from the other torches just burnt my fingers and did not melt the glass as fast as the GTT's focused heat. I use a GTT Phantom, I also have the lynx that I start out with. I hold my fingers on the mandrel about 2 inches away from the flame when working with the lynx center fire of the phantom. This gives me amazing control. With the other torches I tried I had to hold the mandrel way back which felt sloppy and harder to control. Even with the phantom rocking with both inner and outer fires blazing I still can work very close to the flame. where as with the Nortel Red Max I could barley stand to hold the mandrel at the very end, and yet the glass was not melting nearly as fast as the phantom".

Now as far as any torches compare. One would really need to work with all the torches over a longer period to really find the trade offs and personality of each brand. But the GTT's burn amazingly clean.

But for me its a GTT or a GTT. My next torch will be the the GTT Kabuki. I had the pleasure of working with it at the gathering on the tanks and then on two Regalias and all I can say is WOW WOW WOW oh yea WOW.

But I'm a torch nut and a sucker for great design.

Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-08-13 at 3:12pm.