View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 9:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Jen, I think that was agreed to many, many pages ago!

For instance, there were statements early on in this thread to the effect, You can't have it both ways. Either you sell the technique and expect people to use it commercially or you keep it to yourself and are the only one selling those beads. And this, The point I was trying to make was make up your mind how you want to make the money but it cant be both ways. Another one, If they're selling the tutorial, then make and sell to your heart's content! And it goes on, If you buy the tutorial, then you have the right to make and sell the item you are learning. This is the attitude which I hope people now see is not necessarily correct
As one of the people who originally said something along the lines of "tutorial authors can't have it both ways", I need to clarify that WHEN *I* said that, it was tongue in cheek and based on the prevailing attitudes coming from tutorial purchasers. Here's the exact quote:

If nothing else, this thread has made it crystal clear that there are some tutorial users who will copy a bead because they feel its their intrinsic right to do so. Tutorial writers would perhaps be wise to weigh whether or not sharing an exclusive design will generate more income by selling the instructions for it than they may receive for holding an exclusive right to a design. Clearly, there is an unwritten rule that writing a tutorial means abandoning any and all claim to ownership of designs used to demonstrate the technique (and if you state otherwise, you'll be punished somehow and that will affect your sales). from this post: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...52#post2258652

I also make mention of the need for authors to weigh their "losses" before deciding to write a tutorial in this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...55#post2251755

To clarify, in neither case do I agree this is right - but am beginning to understand it's WHAT WILL HAPPEN the instant a tutorial is "out there" regardless of the intent and wishes of the tutorial author.