View Single Post
Old 2013-12-16, 5:31pm
Critter Mom

Default How I Make Teeth

I had a request in one of the Secret Santa threads for instructions on how to make teeth...so here it is:

Here's basically how to do it:

1. I always made the eyes first...never added the pupil until the very end, but needed the eye placement in order to get the mouth in the right spot.

2. Place a dollop of white where you want the mouth...make sure it's attached, but don't melt it in...now using an exacto knive make a slit horizontally through the white.

3. Your white dollop should look kinda like puffy white lips now...so you're ready to shape the mouth...using your tungsten pick, you're going to poke the corners of the white lips you made and then gently pull them up, into a smile...or down into a frown...whatever you like.

4. Using your exacto knife make the vertical lines for the teeth, beginning in the center and working out to the corners of the mouth. You don't need a bunch of teeth, usually one line in the center and two on each side would do nicely.

5. Now your mouth is beginning to look like teeth...next you've got to build them up a little so make sure you have a few white stringers laying around for this step. On each tooth you're going to place a small dot from your stringer...next you're going to need a tool for flattening those stringer dots out...you want this tool to be small enough so you are only flattening one at a time. Once you have all the dots flattened you're going to use your exacto knife to redefine those vertical lines between the teeth.

6. Uppers usually stick out a little more than lowers, so add another set of dots to the center 4 upper teeth...flatten...add another dot to each of the upper 2 center front teeth...flatten.

6. Take your exacto knife and redefine those upper vertical lines and you can use the flat area of the blade to gently push on the bottom of the upper front 4 teeth to make sure they're shaped the way you want them. Your teeth should be lookin' like chompers now!

7. Add the lips...using a stringer (not too thin) about the thickness you want your lips to be, lay your stringer down beginning in the corner of the teeth and working your way across the upper lip area. Do the same for the lower lip...beginning at the same corner that you started with for the upper lip, lay your stringer down till you meet the other corner.

8. I sometimes add a little dot from my stringer to each lip corner at this stage and then slightly melt and flatten it in...just a little. Now using the flat side of your exacto blade shape the lips...pushing here and there to get them shaped like you want. When you're satisfied with the shape, use your blade to make a small crease in each corner of the lips.

9. Now using your tungsten pick pull the corners of the lips where you made that tiny crease, up slightly. Now if you're making a cat this is when you add the puffy cheek areas and then the nose.

I hope this helps you add toothie smiles to all your beads...if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.