View Single Post
Old 2015-10-05, 1:21am
Phill

Aidenblack it really really important that you get a firm understanding about the fumes from torches and how extremely important it is to get good ventilation while you melt glass.

If someone you live with has breathing issues you could very well make them very sick very quickly if you don't pay close attention to this.

Read everything in the safety threads and study the "My Studio" conversations to figure out what you need to do to keep your self and your sister safe from the fumes that torching creates.

I did safety stuff for the Navy for the last dozen years of my time in the service and the things you do not know can hurt you very badly before you realize it.

This is really really important so please understand that no bead is worth the health of anyone ever.

Even in the woods in the midst of high fire season there are safe ways to melt glass out side so don't let the local police brow beat you.
Arm your self with a thorough understanding of all the right ways to do this glass thing we are all so addicted to and they won't be able to give you any grief.

But you DO have to educated your self about it and there really is no other way around that.

Besides the fumes from the burning gas there are also heavy metals involved in some of the colors we use so you just cant melt glass at the kitchen table and not poison yourself and your family.

Second hand cigarette smoke is nothing compared to the torch fumes and some of the other chemicals used in making the colors we use with lampworking.

Edited To Add: I misread hood to read wood. Even so, it is possible to do this hobby in an apartment and the cops can't give you grief about if you are doing it safely and show them that you understand what you are doing.

I worry about you and your sister with asthma. It just is not safe for either of you if you are not taking the right precautions about ventilation. This isn't a small thing.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-10-05 at 1:30am.