View Single Post
Old 2017-03-05, 4:06pm
Present tense

Soft glass or boro? What is your oxygen source?

After the Hothead, I went to the Minor. It's a great torch and many beadmakers use it.

I wanted something with more radiant heat, so I got a Hellcat, which has the Mini CC as its center fire. It is an oxygen hog and I use two 8lpm oxygen concentrators with it. I turn on the third oxycon when I'm also running the outer fire.

I tried the Bethlehem Alpha (and Bravo) at the Gathering and quickly decided that if I was beginning beadmaking today, I'd go with the Alpha. This new generation of Bethlehem torches were designed with oxygen concentrators in mind, which is great for us that use them.

If you want to use boro and have functional glass in mind, I'd go bigger and get the Cheetah. The advantage is that GTT holds its value pretty well, so if you want to upgrade later, you probably won't take much of a loss selling it.

But any of those torches will easily make small hollow beads and vessels from soft glass. Boro will just take longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)