Thread: cracks
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-16, 5:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Pole-to-pole are cooling cracks. I have made the mistake of wanting to see what the color would be and letting it cool too much. It went in the kiln fine but came out with a pole-to-pole crack. Lightening bolt cracks are from incompatible COEs, as someone above said it can be from too much frit.

Here are some misc FYIs - goldstone can have a varying COE. I am a dedicated Lauscha clear fan, but had a few rods from a bad batch from years ago. Everything made with those rods cracked.

To test if a bead will be ok in the long term: place in freezer, allow to get cold, take it out and let it come up to room temp, see if it cracks. I recently made some frit beads with ThatFritGirl Hare of the Tortoise on avocado effetre with Lauscha clear and they turned out just fine.

THANK YOU

Well what I was trying to show a picture of is there is no "lighten bolt effect" straight line cracks, but not necessarily pole to pole.. I have one that is on one side and sort of makes a "T" shape. I don't think I used to much frit, but being rather new, I certainly could have. I love the lauscha, I can't get a decent clear with the others without smoking or tinting. I am going to try again.
I have only used two of the frits I got from "ThatFritGirl" and I can't wait to try more.

I have two beads that I did that are about the same size. The larger one, no cracks looks wonderful (to me) the other is smaller and it cracked. I have almost convinced myself that I admired it to long. I think the one that cracked was tuxedo black, adventurine frit, lauscha clear encasement.
The other that did not crack was ivory, frit (not adventurine), heated and raked, (was fussing) and then encased with lauscha. It is larger, but I had the what the %*& attitude and let it rock and did not look at it much; even placed a murrini I got from De in it and all was well. ???

I am going to put the remaining "good ones" in the freezer.. lol lets see what those puppies do.

Thank you so much.
Can't wait to try again.

"repeating to myself: I will get this, I will get this"
Thanks again