Thread: How do I kiln?
View Single Post
Old 2014-04-30, 10:23am
Dazed and Confused

No, of course not

Can't speak for anyone else, but my mad kiln skills (hah!) were garnered from a mixture of trial and error, reading, learning how glass reacts to heat and a little gentle help right at the beginning.

What are you planning to do with your kiln? What kind of glass do you want to use with it? What kind of kiln is it?

From your questions, I'm assuming you're using it mainly as an annealer?

So, for 104COE I'd set it at 960f. If you're doing Boro, something like 1050 is a good annealing temp. Personally, I turn my kiln on as I'm setting up my torch and getting my glass ready. I have mine set to ramp up as fast as possible (9999 on my kiln) and to stay at 960f for 2 hours - I find I don't really like working for much more than that in one session.
By the time I've finished my first bead, the temp is high enough - if not at 960 already - to put the bead and mandrel in. I'll continue working until I'm done, adding my mandrels as I do. The kiln will automatically shut off after two hours, and I leave everything in there until its completely cooled.

If you're planning to do other things in your kiln - like fusing and slumping - then there is lots of info online for programming firing schedules and the like. Let us know if that's what you're planning to do and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction!