View Single Post
Old 2013-09-14, 12:58am
TJ

Default Will studio ever be READY? Now, problems with Lucio torch "breathing",& wavering.Help

Good grief, just when I think my studio is DONE!

Bolted Lucio torch to table. Problem #1: Flame "breathes" with the OxyCon, an M-15. Gets wider, then skinner, wider, skinnier, by about a cm. Carlisle told me that an M-15 (8LPM) would be sufficient. I was able to find one post suggesting that this behavior is due to INsufficient oxygen - that it is burning off faster than it can be kept consistent in the torch exit. Can anyone confirm this, offer another reason or - most importantly! - postulate a solution?

Problem #2: Flame wavers around. It moves somewhat even without the 954 CFM turned on, but is not good at all when on. If I put an inch of rod in the flame, I end up with the flame moving so much that, without moving my hand, the rod is right out of the flame slightly or in it a whole extra inch! That is NOT sufficient control to work!

Is it my ventilation hood? Here are photos. Could the baffles I added be too "tunnel-y, funnel-y" and be creating too much of a vortex effect? (The baffles are the aluminum flashing added to the "washbasin".) If so, would making the baffles at a wider, more open angle be likely to create less of a wind? Or should I take them off altogether?

Or am I way off on that... is it the positioning of the makeup duct end? (Note that I blocked off the back of the desk, so most air is going back up towards the fan.)

Or god forbid... could it be BOTH?

This is so frustrating... I thought I could start torching. Now, what do I do to fix this...?

Tami

My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.

Last edited by TJ; 2013-09-14 at 1:33am.