View Single Post
Old 2013-09-16, 1:12pm
TJ

PJ: I removed the back flashing baffle. Still the same turbulance in the flame. Tested pointing the makeup air chute various directions. Turbulance definitely increased when pointed towards the hood, and decreased when pointed not down behind the desk but right off to the side. That is not great though, since the whole purpose of the makeup air being back there was to have it heat up by the torch. I really wanted it to go into the back of the torch area to warm up. But I guess I will simply have to give up using the torch through a good portion of winter in the name of having a steady flame - or give up my natural light and replace the makeup air with 12" instead of 6" ducting. I realize that the reduction in size causes it to blow, not waft air in, and that is my fault.

Further with the baffles: still a distinct pull to the left of vortex action, so I removed the ENTIRE flashing baffle I had made. Finally, finally... the flame is fairly steady. Tested with incense again. Even if I hold the incense up next to my face, the smoke gets pulled into the hood. I guess the baffles were not needed after all. I just assumed from all I read on ventilation that one hood up higher would not be sufficient, but it appears to be!

Still need to cut out a few inches from the bottom of the "curtain" wood, as you suggested. That should improve the overall air flow in the room in terms of freshness to my head area, and further assist in lowering turbulence at the back of the desk, correct?

Caliente,

I was aiming to run the torch close to the width of the exit barrel. I had the overall flame at about 7 inches. Reducing it to 6 inches DOES seem to work better. Thank you. I also noticed that running the oxycon longer than 10 mins, it seems to even out its breathing. (Or, it could have been the hood was sucking too much oxygen out with the baffles installed.) I have much to learn in the technical aspect of flameworking.
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.

Last edited by TJ; 2013-09-16 at 1:20pm.