View Single Post
Old 2008-07-15, 9:08pm
RaymondMillbrae

TiggyBubba,

the Vortex line of fans are good. And many folks rave about it's 10-year warranty, which is great. Actually...that's an awesome warranty. But I have also heard folks mention it's noise output.

I have never owned an inline centrifugal fan before, and the Elicent is the only one I've ever purchased. But I went with the Elicent for two reasons:

1) A few different places had comments that the Elicent was quieter than the Vortex and two other compatible fans.

2) I have heard that the motors of the Elicent fan were sturdier, and ran "stronger/truer" than other compatible fans. This is why they might run a tad slower than other fans (lower CFM), but will stay closer to the advertised CFM better than the other brands while pushing through various lengths of ducting.

This is what I have read. And this is why I went with the Elicent AXC 200B. (I also had my eye on the Vortex fan. But then I was swayed towards the Can-Fan..and ultimately the Elicent). But you can make your own choice, and then voice your review/opinion. Who knows? I may be wrong.

Here is a link to a comment Mike Aurelius made about the Vortex fan. (CLICK HERE).

Hayley,

I have never "recommended" that Leslie - or anyone else - reduce their duct tubing. Why do you keep inferring that I am doing so? I am only PRESENTING INFORMATION for folks to consider. Mike Aurelius has helped me to understand a lot of these concepts, which I am just passing on to other folks. It made sense to me, so now I am just passing on the information for others to read. Ultimately it is the end-users decision...after they have made an informed and calculated decision.

I see that you are adamant that duct tubing should never be reduced. (Or at least it sounds that way to me. Especially when you told another reader that you were glad that they didn't reduce their duct tube size...cuz you would have looked up other posts by "professionals" to disuade them). And I am sure there are many other folks that agree with you. (Which is totally cool). But I do not follow your posts to debunk your advise. If you are from the camp that thinks "reducing the duct tubing size to increase air velocity is taboo"...that's OK with me. Those are your opinions. But I see other factors to consider. And I would like to share them, and pass them on to others to consider as well...WHILE ALWAYS STRESSING SAFETY. You never hear me slamming it down someones throat, at the cost of reducing their CFM's to unsafe levels. Do you? Afterall, isn't SAFETY what proper ventilation is all about?

As for the formulas. Click HERE to go to Mike's site to check them out. But I am sure you would need to be a lot more specific about Leslie's set-up to get the proper answers. (Type of duct tubing [metal smooth walled, etc..], total duct tubing distance, how many 90 degree bends, width and height of hood, CFM of fan, etc...).

I am definitely not at the level of Mike Aurelius when it comes to calculating static pressures, velocity pressures, loss factors, etc, etc... But then again, he is the professional in this field, and I am not. But if you want to know how to penetrate a high security safe (like a Fichet-Bauche Chambord TRTL-16X6)...give me a call for an opening price. Or if you need to originate a high security transponder key for a Ferrari...drop me a line for a quote. These are my fields of experience. But if I want to know how to make the best ventilation system for my wife, and if I want to know all the options and why they may play a factor in my final decision, then I'll contact a professional who has designed ventilation system software for other folks. And Mike was that guy.

He was the one who informed me about air velocity, and how it plays a role in ventilation systems. He did NOT "recommend" that I reduce my duct tubing size to increase the air velocity. But he did explain the concept to me, which I totally understood. The final decision was mine. And he even stated that I had a very nice set-up.

Anyhoo...Mike was super cool with me. And I really appreciated his "right hand of fellowship" when he helped me to crunch all those ventilation numbers. Especially since he didn't know me from Adam. (Kudos, Mike).

Yuck. I have a bitter taste in my mouth now.

I think I'll close the door on this thread, and start a new one when I post the final pictures of my DWP's bead table.

Asta la vista, baby.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: THESE GUYS have good prices on Vortex fans. And THIS GUY is who I purchased my AXC 200B from. (He gave me the best deal).

PSS: I would LOVE to see the article in the Annealer Mag, but I don't subscribe to it. Right now we only subscribe to Glassworks and The Flow. But if you could send me a link..."Me love you long time".

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 2008-07-15 at 9:31pm.