View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 9:45pm
Critter Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
What torch do you use for your pieces? They seem large and sculptural, though I do believe I remember you saying you work with Bullseye (not sure how that works heat wise, I assume similar enough).
I use a Lynx and yes, I do work Bullseye. BE is a little stiffer than 104, so it takes the heat a bit better without losing it's shape. Most of my pieces are between 3/4 and 2.5 inches. The Lynx is the only torch I've ever used, except when I'm working in a class.

The way I adjust my flame is I get some nicely shaped tips about 3/8" long using only the left hand oxy knob...then I just barely crack the top oxy knob...this sharpens the tips just a bit. If I'm working something that needs bushier flame then I simply cut back a little on the oxy using the left hand knob...this doesn't work with some colors, like white or pink. I really don't do much adjusting of my flame, I tend to just move the bead where I need it in the flame. I also work further out in the flame and I follow a rule of working only a few seconds on details and then spend 30 seconds or so warming...then back to detail...then warming, etc. I rarely crack a bead...when I have it's been because I start on a detail and got so consumed by it that I forget my time and that's not the torch's fault.

I think my oxy generator's set at 20 pounds (I never have to adjust it, so I'd have to check to be sure) and my regulator is set for 8 pounds of propane.

I love my Lynx, but I think you should use whatever makes you most comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.