View Single Post
Old 2007-07-26, 8:27pm
William Hagy

I have worked one every Carlisle,GTT (except phantom) Nortel,Knight whatevers (same as carlisle) and Herbert Arnold Zenit burners.......Carlisle is a great entry level torch for the money and for what it does. GTT's are (to me ) cute torches that have dinky little knobs.....and the bigger the torch gets ~add more knobs sounds like a great idea untill you put glass in your hands and need to adjust 5 or 6 of them. Nortel works great for what they are an I tried one out similar to the CC before they had been released and for the money you cannot knock that!

After I purchase my 40mm H.A Zenit burner I decided to get the 50mm and the 65mm to add to my arsenal of equipment. ~The are noiseless, efficiant, precise, and in my opinion indestructible in design and simple to adjust, ergonomically correct....however they are not easy for some people to understand and why that is I don't know or really want to.

I sat down with a scientific lab glassblower whom has also done glass art since the 70's his opinion was "Carlisle's are great! GTT's are overpriced and found them to be flawed in design for the user not to mention the "touchy head syndrome" said nothing about Nortel or the Knight bullet/carlisle repro
.....when he looked at my H.A's he immedietly produced an antique model with brass head and fittings with the one knob adjustment.

We never discussed prices since it doesn't really matter in scheme of things we did discuss the flame produced and that of Carlise and HA with the HA being a far hotter flame with much more refinement and more importantly
~Its simply years ahead of its time when they started production in the 50's

What would I buy? The torch the best suits my needs as well as the one that is simple to use because I want to work the glass ~not the 6-10 knobs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.