View Single Post
Old 2007-08-02, 5:12pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
You are correct.

I have been working glass since 1990. I had always wanted to work in a hot shop, but never had the opportunity. In 1993 (it could have been '92?) I learned about glass beadmaking with a torch. At the time, I could not afford the equipment, but kept my eye on it and put it on my list of things to someday do. I read up on it and looked, but never tried it at that time.

In 2002, I finally purchased a HotHead torch and a kiln and began making my own beads. I sold my work and began teaching beginning bead-making classes at a local stained glass studio. It wasn't too long before I could afford to upgrade my torch. I put a lot of research into it and decided to go with a GTT Lynx. It was the best decision I had ever made. I loved my Lynx!

Anyway, my work improved and my production speed increased. I sold more beads. I also expanded my repetoire and started making small boro sculptures along with soft glass beads. I tried some marbles, but round is not really my thing. I enjoyed sculptural work and wanted to go larger with my boro. I needed a larger torch than my Lynx. I still wanted the ability to work soft glass - particularly special colors. Again, I did a lot of research. I had to. A large torch was a huge investment for me, since I was not a full-time glassworker at the time.

I found the GTT Phantom to be the best torch for my needs and my budget. I contacted GTT early in 2004 for more information and that is when I first spoke to the man who is now my husband. We later met in person at the Gathering in Portland.

So, there you have it. I have been a lampworker, as well as a believer in GTTs, long before I ever met my husband. Knowing him has given me an even greater knowledge of torches and what goes into them than I could have ever had before.
Now if you want to work on a Zenit burner I wont tell your husband

~Things have come along way since '91 in the lampworking realm haven't they.....I remember watching two lampworkers when I was 5 making small vases and goblet.......ode to the studio movement of the 60's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.