View Single Post
Old 2007-08-03, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Sometimes, higher pressures are used to eliminate flame fluctuations (surges and drops) when switching from innerfire operation to inner and outer fire operation. On the three stage torches, like the Delta Mag, the surge or drop can be very noticeable. That is why you may need to run 100 psi on the oxygen to keep the transition from going inner-to-outer-to outer outer smooth, even though the torch is only consuming at most 80-85 cubic feet of oxygen per hour.
I was not aware that you recommended such a high PSI on that torch, although I do understand why you are based on the description above. Quick question. Why not just suggest to the user that they get a 9 stud (or is that 6 stud) model and have them use inline regulators that are separately set and adjusted for each of the zones (inner, inner-outer, and outer)? Using the line regulators would eliminate fluctuation between these zones without requiring such a high pressure setup.

I find that with a really high pressure setup like that, although you may take care of fluctuation issues, you tend to have a more forceful flame than you may want. That's no fault of the torch, but makes the flame rather harsh in the end.

Of course, asking the operator to purchase additional equipment is not always the best situation, especially if money is a major issue. However, I would think the end result would be worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-always a sale and new items to check out!
East coast supplier of colored glass rod in 104 and 33, tools, torches, gloves, and everything else a flameworker needs
Where LE users receive 15% off glass, and 10% on everything else, every day all year long!