View Single Post
Old 2007-08-03, 4:02pm
PyronamixK

My mistake about 100 psi on a Mag (I think 100 psi was what Mike Plane was running his Python on). It does not need to be that high.

The Delta Mag can run on like 40-50 psi (when you're feeding the whole torch from a single source) - ask Wally if you want to know for sure.

At any rate, you can have very high pressures and still be able to dial in a soft flame. You have the pressure there available to you if you want to dial in a forceful flame, but you can still dial in a soft flame. I know that there are a lot of guys (boro workers, especially) who like to run higher pressures than recommended so they can have a very forceful flame when they want it.

Below are some pictures (sorry for the blurriness) of a hand torch being run on high pressures and low pressures. Notice that you can still get the same small, soft flame regardless of the pressure setting. The higher pressure did not make the flame more forceful. That forceful flame is available, but not there unless dialed in.

Robert, in-line pressure regulators should be available at your local welding shop.