View Single Post
Old 2008-08-30, 9:09am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnana View Post
Hi Pam
I think the only way to protect the integrity of the data is to require users to enter their LE user name. Duplicate User Names will be deleted before database is updated. Since I am creating this for LE users I don't think that should be a problem, at least I hope not. I almost have the data fields completed. So far the following data collection fields are what I've come up with for the form:

LE User Name
Brand
Model
How long owned unit?
Bought New/Used?
If used, hrs on unit at time of purchase?
Avg number of hrs used weekly?
Settings used
Manufacturer Warranty
Performance issues w unit
Warranty repairs
Is lampwork full time occupation?
Soft Glass/Boro/Both
Torch/torches used
Type of flame used most
Overall Satisfaction w unit
Do you recommend this brand/model?

I'm sure I'm missing something. Suggestions are more than welcome, in fact invited, as far as what to add to/remove from the form.
It would take only a minute to create a new user name. What's to prevent someone from creating multiple user names and post multiple commendations? I'm no computer geek (leave that stuff to my son Jason) but even I know how to create anonymous ISP addys that can't be traced. There are even internet forums to teach you how to do it. The ease with which that can be done is precisely why some boards require you to submit a fair amount of personal information that is carefully checked by the board admin before a new registry is accepted.

I think what you propose is a great idea, but there's no way for you (or the board admin here) to tell if 10 favourable commendations came from 10 different oxycon owners, or just one trying to promote their equipment.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan